School’s out! Pacific Northwest skies have finally stopped drooling. The thermometer is flirting with “warm.” And it’s time to Get Outside. Continuing our series on Great Outdoors Month, here are 20 ways to celebrate this sunny season:
– Visit one of the most spectacular subalpine meadows at Mount Rainier National Park by hiking the Summerland Trail.
– Fly a kite!
– Check out Oregon’s Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area and Waterfall Corridor. Stunning natural beauty. Roaring waterfalls. Hiking trails. Picnicking, parks, history, photo opps galore! For more, see; 5 Most Under-Rated Sights in NW Oregon You Really Should See.
– Enjoy fresh produce! Watermelon and peach juice dribbling off my chin. Tart blueberries. Cherry pie fresh from the oven. Mango-pineapple smoothies! Oh yeah!
– Eat an ice cream cone. Better if you get two and share one.
– Explore the solitude and serenity of Washington’s Cispus Loop. Some great waterfall hikes here! Also Layser Cave, one of the most significant archaeological sites in western Washington.
– Make s’mores!
– It’s the perfect season for combining two summer staples: warmer weather and picnicking. Check out some tips from Real Simple magazine for your Picnic Packing Checklist.
– Visit a flower garden. Find a bench in the shade. Sit down. Close your eyes and inhale the floral perfume. You might start at the Hulda-Klager Lilac Gardens, a national historic site and nonprofit botanical gardens located in Woodland, Washington.
– Build a sand castle.
– Swim. In the ocean. River. Pool. Water sprinklers.
– Sign up for and participate in your library’s Summer Reading Program. Need some suggestions? See: 20 Kid-Tested, Mother-Approved Outdoor CLASSICS.
– Grab the sleeping bags, camp stove and cooler for a good ‘ole fashioned camp out. Not sure where to start? Check out: The Best Campground at Mount Rainier?
– Take a road trip. Like Oregon’s Mount Hood Scenic Byway.
– What’s summer without a barbecue? Fire up the grill. Throw on some burgers, hot dogs, ribs or corn on the cob. Mix up some potato salad. Stir up some ice-cold lemonade. Grab a plate and load up. Put your feet up and catch some rays. Yeah, baby!
– Turn. Off. The. TV. Put down the mobile device. Lose the ear buds. Stow the phone. Disconnect and Get Outside.
How are you celebrating the sunny season?